Unparalleled ease of installation.
Manufacturer-independent sector coupling.
The Energy Manager VoyagerX is a compact gateway for energy management. It connects PV and energy storage systems, as well as EV chargers and heat pumps into a manufacturer-independent sector-coupled system, acting as an interface between the energy devices and the energy IoT platform KiwiOS.
The future of intelligent connectivity and energy management for PV systems, energy storage, charging infrastructure and heat pumps
With the introduction of the “Energy Manager VoyagerX”, Kiwigrid tackles two of the major challenges of the energy transition. To decarbonize the energy system and switch completely to renewable energies, over 100 million PV and energy storage systems, EV chargers and heat pumps must be connected and intelligently managed by 2030 in Europe alone. Since installation capacities are limited due to the shortage of skilled workers and the rapidly increasing demand, installation must be as simple and fast as possible.
Kiwigrid's new gateway solves both problems. VoyagerX can be easily mounted and connected to the end devices. It does not have to be mounted on the top-hat rail in the control cabinet, but can be fixed directly onto the energy devices or next to them. In most cases, it is ready for use in less than ten minutes. The device can also be installed by end customers themselves, while installers conveniently complete configuration remotely.
VoyagerX is the result of eleven years’ expertise and experience in the development and stable operation of a manufacturer-independent energy service platform for over 25 international customers including E.ON, Solarwatt, BayWa r.e. and LG Electronics. Through this partner network, Kiwigrid’s current gateway has already been installed over 20,000 times throughout Europe, connecting over 200,000 PV and energy storage systems, EV chargers, heat pumps, meters and industrial sensors by over 50 device manufacturers.
VoyagerX collects the device data and transmits them to the Kiwigrid platform where they are processed for monitoring, analysis and remote maintenance purposes. In return, VoyagerX accepts commands and schedules from the platform to control the energy devices according to various optimization goals, including increased self-consumption of self-produced solar power, lowering the carbon footprint and reducing electricity bills by shifting as much consumption as possible to times when the price of electricity is at its lowest during the day.
Extremely powerful and secure
For all energy IoT use cases today and in the future
- The quad-core processor makes it as powerful as a smartphone, supporting all current and future energy IoT use cases
- High processor performance and modern OSGi architecture enable parallel use of several applications, ensuring maximum, future-proof use case flexibility
- Highest security standards powered by recognized, state-of-the-art data transfer encryption and user and end device authentication
- Communication with the KiwiOS.cloud relies on services that comply with the C5 standard issued by the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI)
- Unique, modern hardware design reduces dependence on global supply chains
Compact hardware design
For fast installation and simple system upgrades at any time
- Top-hat rail installation in the usually crowded control cabinet is not necessary
- Wiring of the energy devices to the control cabinet is not necessary, saving material costs and time
- Flexible installation directly to the energy device or on the wall
- Allows decentralized placement of energy devices around the home (especially important in existing buildings and for retrofits)
- Intuitive installation wizard enables uncomplicated connection of devices and rapid configuration
- Remote configuration saves valuable time
Highly flexible sector coupling
Thanks to manufacturer-independent device connectivity
- Manufacturer-independent device and system-level connectivity for over 30 manufacturers*
- Supports all relevant device classes: PV inverters, hybrid inverters with DC-coupled battery storage, AC-coupled energy storage systems, heat pumps, heating rods, energy meters and smart metering systems*
- Supports all levels of complexity – from simple device setups (e.g. EV charger only or PV system and EV charger) to complex systems (e.g. PV system with energy storage, EV charger, energy meter and heat pump)
- Bluetooth* support for even simpler and faster installation and configuration
- Highly flexible connection of energy devices either cable-based via Ethernet, I/O, RS-485 and S0 or wireless via Wi-Fi and LTE*
- Internationally scalable due to support of standardized protocols such as Modbus, SG-Ready, Sunspec and EEBus*, as well as various proprietary protocols by major device manufacturers
* For customers using our standard products, KiwiOS is currently available in version 7, while KiwiOS X has already been rolled out to selected reference customers. This affects both cloud and edge/hardware products such as the energy manager VoyagerX. Full product activation of KiwiOS X, and therefore availability to all customers, will be announced shortly. Upon initial release, VoyagerX will support a specific set of device setups, connectivity and use cases. Kiwigrid will continuously expand the number of supported device setups, connectivity and use cases in the coming months and years. Subject to a non-disclosure agreement and a potential internationally scalable distribution partnership, we are happy to provide detailed information. What we mean by device setups and how we ensure their functionality is explained in this blog.
The VoyagerX at a glance
“The ease of installation and performance of VoyagerX are comparable to that of a smartphone. We understand the needs of end customers and installers. Time and again they explained their need for an easy-to-install, powerful and future-proof gateway. And so, we listened. VoyagerX is built on our experience with over 20,000 sector-coupled installations across Europe. This makes it unique.”
Dr Frank Schlichting (CEO)